History & Values
The history of a unique furniture system
Xilobis is a smart, modular Swiss furniture system unlike anything else on the market.
Zeitgeist. Our modular design furniture speaks to a modern spirit of time. It is a sustainable, modular furnishing system for a flexible, design-conscious society full of people who move often, enjoy changing their living spaces on a regular basis, and always want to live beautifully - without having to restrict themselves. Living beautifully and elegantly is a natural need, and a home that reflects your identity can serve as an oasis of peace and relaxation in this restless age. Our environment is increasingly demanding flexibility and mobility, encouraging a lifestyle marked by a reluctance to settle down. Freedom, versatility, individuality, and the willingness to experiment are our constant companions, also influencing the ways we want to live and work. This also changes the demands we place on our furniture. Besides purely aesthetic considerations, our need for changeability, sustainability, and flexibility is increasing - without losing sight of elegance and beauty.
Solution. Modular designer furniture from Xilobis is our answer to these needs. It combines timeless design, creative freedom, the highest level of mobility, and individuality. If your environment or design needs change, the furniture changes with ease - it always fits, and presents no limitations to your own creativity.
Vision. Our idea was to build a modular system that remained modular and was always able to adapt to new conditions. This means: you don't just determine what you want to have where, arranged in what way, when you place an order; you can also change the furniture, develop it, or extend it later at any time and without tools to meet your own needs. A flexible, elegant, and unique piece of designer furniture that always fits.
Unique. Smart furniture doesn't need any screws or other fittings at all, and can be easily assembled, disassembled, and reassembled without tools. Nevertheless, it is stable and sturdy. It is highly flexible, and extremely versatile both formally and visually. This flexibility, and the uniqueness of the furniture, is never sacrificed. You can reassemble or extend the furniture at any time, and add new sliding doors to get an entirely new look. Its spatial, design, and visual versatility is unique. The compatibility between different individual systems is highly prized by customers. The xilobis system combines timeless design, creative freedom, maximum usability, and sustainability. A furniture system that can accompany you wherever you go, and always fits.
System. The well-engineered Xilobis system consists of precisely manufactured beech plywood sheets, in which the depressions required for binding are milled and drilled with the highest level of precision: Grooves for the specially made cable loops and semi-circular depressions for the chromed steel balls. This is all you need for a design module. Place the cable loop in the groove precisely milled for this purpose; place the first side wall between the two vertical elements. Inserting the second wall places the entire structure under tension, then insert the back wall, and your design module is complete. Standardized chromed steel balls are used to fix the partition walls and trays in place and bind the individual modules together into a stable piece of furniture. Sliding doors and other accessories such as drawers are simply inserted. The piece needs no tools at all, and certainly no specialized tools like those required for certain furniture systems.
Creative. An intelligent furniture planner is available on our homepage. It supports customers in planning and creating their own unique pieces of furniture. Individual designs can be saved under the customer's name and called up again at any time for revision or expansion. One-of-a-kind pieces can be ordered easily over the internet.
Swiss Made. The Xilobis system wasn't just invented in Switzerland, it is also manufactured entirely in Switzerland. "Made in Switzerland" isn't just lip service - it's a central pillar of the Xilobis corporate philosophy.
Social. Xilobis also works with social institutions in manufacturing and inventory management: Small components are manufactured in the workshops of the Stöckenweid Foundation, which provides 70 protected employment positions for individuals with disabilities; the central warehouse is attended by passionate employees from the Züriwerk Foundation.
Inventor. Two Ticino tinkerers invented this smart system, then perfected it through years of work: Mario Bissegger and Stefan Plüss. The two met in 2001 at the Design Preis Schweiz, where Plüss was honored for his bed constructed with cable technology, and Bisseger was honored for the binding system using balls that he developed. The two designers struck up a conversation, and in 2003 created the first prototypes on which today's Xilobis system is based. They created the brand Xilobis in 2004, but it took a few more years of tinkering and development work before the system and all of its elements had taken the perfect shape. By 2008 they were ready, but a few more years passed before production-ready pieces could fulfill their high requirements. Xilobis has been marketed in its current form and with its current logo since 2012. Having converted to a corporation, built its team, and introduced clear structures and processes, Xilobis continues to expand its presence. Professional appearances at designer trade fairs like Designers' Saturday, imm-cologne, and Neue Räume, and regular displays at public exhibitions and events, we are increasing the recognition of our still "young" brand.
- Opening of the permanent exhibition of design post Cologne
- Opening of the store in Munich
- Reddot award 2015: winner furniture design for a sustainable product solution
- Opening of the stores in Zurich, Stuttgart and Tokyo
- The central warehouse is moved to Zurich, where it is maintained by employees of the Foundation Züriwerk
- Manufacturing of small parts through the work of the Foundation Stöckenweid in Feldmeilen
- Launch of the new product line Xilobis-System 24
- Establishment of Xilobis Germay GmbH
- Lauch of Xilobis-Vino, the unique wine rack
- Conversion of Xilobis Sagl into Xilobis AG based in Zurich
- Co-inventor Stefan Plüss leaves the company
- Establishment of Xilobis Sagl in Losone, Ticino
- The two inventors combine their activities under the brand name of Xilobis and continue to work on the development of the system
- Mario Bissegger, inventor of the connection system using balls, and Stefan Plüss, inventor of the design by means of tensioning ropes, meet at the Design Preis Schweiz and speak for the first time about the possibility to combine the two systems.
What we want to achieve with our behavior and how we keep our promise to our customers:
We want successfully establish Xilobis as a brand. To do that we need to generate returns, which reward those who are innovative and bring in jobs, and maintain our independence.
We strive for efficient use of resources , the use of environmentally friendly materials that reduce waste and avoid the use of dangerous substances.
We place the needs of our customers at the center of our all our thoughts and actions, awake emotions and convey joy with design, durability and flexibility.
We want all individuals in the company to contribute to the positive image of the company through their behavior, their communication and their appearance.
We are committed to production in Switzerland.
We are here because...
- we give of our best in all that we do,
- we bring joy to our customers' homes and offices,
- we meet needs and exceed our customers' expectations,
- we use natural raw materials with respect and efficiently,
- we are economical with the company's resources,
- we treat our customers as we would like to be treated ourselves,
- we are entrepreneurial and fair with our business partners,
- we make a wonderful contribution to sustainability.
We continue to exceed the expectations of our customers and amaze the world with our unique character. We are able to do this because...
- our austere design is functional and timeless,
- we use impressive, precise methods to process natural raw wood material,
- our products need no screws or fittings,
- the binding technology using ball and cable is highly stable,
- the connecting elements form an important part of the design,
- the flexible connection system facilitates unlimited assembly, disassembly, and re-assembly of the product,
- our product can be extended and added to at any time,
- you can adjust the product to your spatial and visual needs in just a few steps,
- construction of the furniture is simple and requires no tools,
- it is lightweight and easy to transport, saves space, and requires very little storage room,
- the individual draft plans and orders are saved in your personal account on the furniture planner and can be added to at any time,
- the furniture planner is also available in a comfortable atmosphere over the internet,
- the endless combinations make furniture design a playful experience,
- it's simply fun to be creative!